Heavy rain can be both a blessing and a curse for trees. On the one hand, it provides much-needed water and nourishment to their roots, but on the other hand, too much rain can cause irreversible damage to them. For this reason, it is important to take steps to protect your trees during heavy downpours. That’s why our certified arborist would like to provide you with the following Eugene tree care tips on how you can keep your trees safe in heavy rain.
Why Do Trees Fall in Heavy Rain?
The most common reason why trees fall in heavy rain is that their roots are not able to absorb the excess amount of water and become saturated, causing them to give way.
Trees with shallow root systems or those that have been planted on an unstable soil base can also be more susceptible to falling in storms. High winds can also cause trees to sway back and forth and eventually topple over if they cannot withstand the pressure.
Another factor that causes trees to fall during heavy rains is soil erosion. Heavy rains often erode the topsoil around a tree’s root system, making it less stable and more prone to toppling over. Erosion can also occur when water accumulates around a tree’s trunk and roots, leaving them vulnerable to wind pressure.
How To Protect Your Trees in Heavy Rain?
If you want to keep your trees protected during the rain, here are some important steps to follow:
- Water your trees regularly before a heavy rainstorm so that the soil around their roots can absorb as much water as possible. This will help prevent the soil from becoming saturated and make it easier for the roots to access the nourishment they need during the storm.
- Prune your trees regularly to remove any dead branches or weak limbs that may break off due to strong winds or heavy rains and cause more damage than necessary.
- Provide support for young trees by tying them securely to stakes or anchoring them with wires to better withstand strong gusts of wind during storms.
- Plant trees in areas with good drainage so that water can easily move away from the root system and avoid soil erosion.
- Ensure that your trees have access to plenty of nutrients by fertilizing them regularly, as this will help strengthen their roots.
- Check for signs of rot or decay in your trees, and remove any diseased parts before they cause more damage to the tree during a storm.
- Keep an eye on weather forecasts and prepare for heavy rainstorms ahead of time by adequately securing your trees and making sure strong winds won’t topple them over.
Signs that a Tree Has Been Impacted by Saturated Soil
If you discover that a tree has toppled over after an intense rainstorm, it may be due to saturated soil. To determine if this is the case, look for signs such as:
- Soggy soil around the base of the tree
- Discolored leaves or wilting branches
- Mushroom growth near the roots of the tree
- A foul smell coming from underneath the fallen tree
By keeping an eye on these signs and taking proactive measures to protect your trees during heavy rains, you can help ensure their safety. With proper care and attention, your trees should stay healthy even in adverse weather conditions.
What to Do if a Tree Begins to Fall in the Rain
If you see a tree beginning to fall during a storm, stay away from it and seek shelter in your home or another safe area. Trees that are falling can cause serious injury, so it is best to avoid the area until the storm has passed.
It is also important to call a Eugene tree care professional once the storm is over to assess any damage that may have been caused by the heavy rains and take steps to prevent further issues. An experienced arborist will be able to provide advice on how to repair damaged trees and protect
them from future storms.
By taking these precautions, you can ensure that your trees will remain healthy and strong even during heavy rainstorms. With proper care and maintenance, you can enjoy the beauty of your trees for years to come.
Eugene Tree Care
At Westcoast Tree Care, we provide professional arborist services to help your trees stay healthy and safe during any kind of weather. As Eugene tree care professionals, we can assess any damage that may have been caused by heavy rains and take steps to repair it as quickly and effectively as possible. We also offer preventive care services to help protect your trees from future storms.
For more information about our services, contact us by filling out our online form or give us a call at 1.800.767.8733 today! We look forward to helping you keep your trees safe and secure in all kinds of weather.