Tree care, when done correctly, results in safe, healthy, and beautiful trees. However, only a certified arborist who specializes in arboriculture understands how a tree needs to be cared for. If you are unsure of how to care for your trees, it’s always best to avoid doing it yourself. While certain things may seem doable, the truth is that DIY tree care can be dangerous, difficult, and costly. That’s why Westcoast Tree Care would like to provide you with the following reasons it’s best to leave your trees to a professional and hire a Salem tree care service.
DIY Tree Care Is Dangerous
To begin with, using chainsaws, ladders, and handsaws at elevated heights have a high rate of injury. In fact, the US Census Bureau lists tree care as one of the most dangerous/fatal jobs in America. Part of the danger is caused by the fact that an amateur has a hard time distinguishing deadwood and rotten branches from healthy ones. This can result in falls, serious injuries, damage to property located below, and health risks to a tree.
Even more, tree care requires sharp, dangerous tools that people often use while standing on a ladder. This sort of coordination requires special safety precautions that are unavailable to the average homeowner. Only a certified arborist will have the proper tools and equipment needed to care for trees effectively and safely. This includes safety harnesses, bucket trucks, professional ladders, and more.
DIY Tree Care Can Damage Trees
Trees require consistent care for proper health. Neglected trees that haven’t been properly pruned are often weak and therefore hazardous. In fact, a strong wind storm can weaken branches or cause an entire tree to fall over if it hasn’t been properly cared for. Even worse, DIY tree care can damage trees due to deformities and disease/infestations resulting from open wounds making it more likely to become a hazard. Ultimately, having a certified arborist do the work will actually protect you, your home, your family, and your trees.
Common DIY Tree Care Mistakes
Homeowners who take on DIY tree care can potentially cut a branch, only to have it fall and harm people or damage property below. On the other hand, a certified arborist will have the expertise to properly assess, plan, and care for trees without causing harm or damage. Below are some common mistakes people often make without the proper knowledge, experience, and preparation.
- Using Dull Tools – The use of dull, overused tools can not only make the job more physically challenging, it can damage your trees, making the healing process longer since branches won’t be cleanly cut.
- Not Sanitizing Tools – Unsanitized tools can transfer unwanted diseases from previous plants to your trees causing them to become sick or die.
- Topping A Tree – People often think they can cut branches anywhere to achieve the desired effect. However, topping a tree can cause a myriad of problems. Not only does topping a tree affect its health, it can also create dangerous situations while changing the overall look of the tree.
- Over Pruning – A tree should never be over pruned. In fact, it’s important not to remove more than 15-20% of a tree’s foliage. When too much of the canopy has been removed, a tree can become unhealthy because it can no longer produce enough food and nutrients to sustain itself.
- Flush Cutting – When someone cuts against the trunk or a main branch it can cause a number of unwanted problems. Cutting too close to the main trunk (flush cutting) can leave behind open wounds making a tree susceptible to pests and disease.
Salem Tree Care Services
While it may be well-intentioned, homeowners without a full understanding of proper tree care techniques can not only compromise a tree’s health but create unwanted safety risks when taking on the task of doing it themselves. In fact, many homeowners have been injured or even killed by attempting a DIY job. That’s why hiring a certified arborist should never be taken lightly.
At Westcoast Tree Care, our certified arborist has the necessary equipment and training to handle simple to hazardous tree care services. We offer a wide range of preventative and maintenance services for residential and commercial properties throughout the Salem, Oregon area. Whether you require preventative trimming, pruning or need a dead tree removed, we are the professionals to trust for skilled and efficient tree care services.
Contact us at 1.800.767.8733 for a no-cost, no-obligation quote.