Your trees are an investment in the beauty of your homes property. They add visual interest and can save money on heating and cooling costs. Pruning your trees in Portland, Oregon will ensure their health and vitality for years to come.
It’s important to recognize that different species of trees have different requirements when it comes to pruning. Today we talk about pruning your trees in Portland, Oregon. We outline reasons for pruning, the proper time to prune, and why an ISA Certified Arborist is best suited for your deciduous pruning needs.
Why should you prune a tree in Portland, Oregon?
- Maintain and promote the health of the tree
- Reduce the likelihood of accidents and harm to people
- Properly train a young tree
- Increase or decrease the growth of a trees flowers and/or fruit
When to Prune your Deciduous Trees in Portland,Oregon
Deciduous trees are best pruned when the tree is young. The reason for this is that the wound area is much smaller and heals quickly.
You will likely have to prune your deciduous trees throughout their lifetime. If pruning has been conducted properly the length of time between prunings can be substantial: for some trees this can mean seven and even up to ten years.
Deciduous tree pruning is best performed during the trees dormancy period. For deciduous trees this will be during the colder months after its leaves have dropped. There are a number of reasons for this, including:
- Providing the tree ample time to heal
- Reduced chance of causing unwanted tree growth
- Tree and branch structure is easier to see and navigate
- Reduced risk of tearing off tree and branch bark
Should I Hire a Certified Arborist When Pruning my Trees in Portland, Oregon?
Westcoast Tree Care highly recommends hiring an ISA Certified Arborist for the pruning of your deciduous trees. There are a variety of reasons for this recommendation:
- An ISA Certified Arborist will have the proper equipment for pruning your tree. This includes tools such as pruning saws, pruning loppers, and pruning shears.
- Not all trees are the same. An ISA Certified Arborist has specialized training and understanding of tree types, tree forms, and the techniques necessary to properly prune. Improper pruning can severely damage a tree, so it’s best to go with a trained and certified professional.
- A ISA Certified Arborist can properly prune and train your newly planted trees so you can enjoy them for years to come. Proper pruning will ensure the health and vitality of your deciduous trees for a lifetime.
- Young and old trees differ, and those differences include pruning technique. An ISA Certified Arborist is trained to understand the differences in those techniques and how they should be applied.
The Take Away
When it comes time to prune your deciduous trees in Portland, Oregon we hope you will remember our recommendations. Be sure to consider the type of deciduous trees you have, the age of your trees, and the time of year.
Likewise, we highly recommend hiring an ISA Certified Arborist. An ISA Certified Arborist has specialized training in all areas of tree care and understands the specific techniques and needs of your trees. An ISA Certified Arborist has the tools to properly conduct your tree pruning and the experience to make qualified recommendations on your trees maintenance and care.
Westcoast Tree Care is at the ready when it’s time for your deciduous tree pruning. We’ll send out an ISA Certified Arborist who will walk your property with you, listen to your needs, answer your questions, and will make qualified recommendations. We’ll offer you a 100% performance guarantee and a no-obligation quote as well.
Contact us today to learn more!